Thursday, August 20, 2009

Growth

by Sasha | Director of Business Affairs


Its been over three years now since the first ethos and I'm never not floored by the appearance of the event. Granted, for different reasons every time, but floored none the less. Being a Hollywood native myself i have to be honest and say that the shows at the El Rey were not the most impressive events to most. Ripe with the grunge of Los Angeles and free of the polish of the new Hollywood, the mere fact that such an event was even put together is what left me wide eyed. Knowing the founders as just kids overreaching their capacity I would be lying if I said I didn't expect a complete disaster, but my expectations were clearly a unmet.

Then a move to the Avalon. Red carpets. Hollywood and all its trappings.

Yet again my expectations were exceed multiple times over. But really its one point on the time line of ethos that haunts me. One question that I don't think I want to know the answer to out of some sense of nostalgia... perhaps even make believe. How did this child become an adult over night? How did it go from cute to sexy? What happened between Ethos 6 and Ethos 7? I was looking at the white stage where LMFAO was performing when it hit me like baseball bat, Ethos isn't my own little secret anymore... its outgrown me. It doesn't need my support or patronage, it has its own legs to stand on now. No longer this awkward talent show-esqe enterprise it had taken in the stars and lights of Los Angeles and poured out upon us the glamor of Hollywood.

I don't know exactly what happened or why but I have my suspicions. Whatever nostalgia I feel for what was before a simple event called Project Ethos has been replaced by hope and excitement over a future for what has grown to become nothing less than a movement that has no charted path and has no foreseeable ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment