Monday, August 8, 2011

Project Ethos Fashion: Tall Tennies


by Sarah Clifford

I’ve been feeling nostalgic recently for simpler times, when my shopping was solely at Limited Too (now "Justice," say whaa?) and homework was all about memorizing your times tables.  I miss the days when my wardrobe staples were black velvet flares, a neon yellow sweater, and my go-to shoes: Sbicca platform tennies circa 1998.  As most of girls of my generation will admit, the Spice Girls played a crucial role in my sense of style.  Their cropped tops, bellbottoms and insane platforms just seemed so right.

Well thanks to a new fashion trend, I don’t have to miss those beloved Sbiccas much longer – platforms are back.  Clearly platforms in the way of wedges and some select boots have been present in the fashion world for quite some time, so that’s really nothing new.  But, I’m talking about good old tennis shoes…with an insane platform.

Now I’m guessing you’re probably reading this and thinking the girls at Project Ethos are losing it, but I beg to differ.  Reach deep down, find your inner Spice Girl, and I’m sure you’ll be just as stoked as I am about the resurrection of this fabulous footwear. 

The trend is in its infant stages right now, popping up on blogs (SRC783) and in a few photos of daring fashionistas who are brave enough to be our shoe soldiers. 

The true sign that the platform sneakers were wiggling their way back in was at Prada’s spring 2011 ready-to-wear collection featuring some killer platform sneakers.  I’m still drooling over these, like most others – there was (is?) a wait list to snag a pair of these sweet kicks.

Leave us a comment and let us know if you’re down with these tall shoes.  Are you all about it (like me!) or are you thinking, “One word: hideous”?




No comments:

Post a Comment