Friday, July 15, 2011

Meet Our Interns!

Get to know some of our amazing interns! Although only a handful of them, our LA interns dish about the work they've been doing, how they found out about the Project Ethos internship and more.  Enjoy!

(from left to right: Lacee, Thelma, Marra, Christi, Sarah, Madyson)


Lacee: My name is Lacee! But friends call me Barbie. I have an infatuation with rhinestones and bows. I have every color hair bow to match all my outfits’ everyday… no seriously though I wear one everyday. And I also rhinestone EVERYTHING. At first it was a hobby but I’m in love with sparkles. I rhinestone my clothes, shoes, bows, phones, etc., and now I even sell objects, most commonly car license plate frames. Ok I sound a little obsessive but if you saw an example, you would want me to make you something.

Maybe if I tell you a little more about myself it would explain my little obsession. I am a fashion merchandising major at Long Beach State, and I have always had a passion for fashion ever since I could remember. Most commonly when I tell people my field of study, they think I will be the individual creating the clothes, but that is not that case. Fashion MERCHANDISING is about everything except making clothes, which can consist of the visual, and business sides of fashion. In the future I have many dreams of careers and its so hard to choose just one so I want to do it all!!

This internship has been an amazing experience for me. And I am not just saying this because I want to make a good image for the company.  They have an outstanding reputation as it is, but I want people to know the perspective from an intern’s point of view. Before becoming an intern I had the opportunity to volunteer at the LA Fashion week event. It was an event of a lifetime! And now to be working behind the scenes, helping make the affair take place is even more unbelievable.

The people working here are inspiring. The individuals who work for Project Ethos make us feel so involved and as if we make a difference in the event. We are not ordinary interns who do paperwork or go fetch coffee, but we actually do research, create presentations, and find musicians, artists, and designers for the event. I feel like working here I have made a new handful of genuine friends and I know for a fact we will all keep in touch when the internship is over. Its not one of those get lunch on our breaks together bond, but rather go on a three day fashion camp together kind of friendship.

Thelma: Hello! My name is Thelma Annan and I am currently an intern at Project Ethos. I major in Media and Cultural Studies at UC Riverside. Being a true Los Angeles native, I am a hardcore Lakers fan, as my future children will be. I am a sucker for 80’s films and consider NYLON magazine my Bible. I absolutely adore Kelly Ripa and Louise Roe and aspire to have a successful career like theirs one day.

I am more than grateful to work at Project Ethos. This is a very hands on, rewarding experience that I would not change for the world. Working here has forced me to push my comfort zone without me having to sacrifice my opinions or personality. I feel like I am actually part of the team. I learn something new every time I step into the office, whether professionally or personally. Working here is something I will never forget. We have a lot of amazing events coming up, so check out our websites regularly and be on the lookout for them!

Marra: Hey there! My name is Marra Camille Manansala. I’m about to finish up my last year at Cal State Fullerton as Communications/PR major. This is the third month as a Project Ethos intern, and I absolutely love it! For anyone who wants to get into the big, bad world of public relations – this is the perfect internship. I get to pitch to the media by e-mail and by phone, and even post on Project Ethos’ blog. It was a bit scary at first, but honestly, I’d rather get over my fears at an internship than my first day of my real job as a post-grad. I get to discover new music in and out of Los Angeles, get inspired to try out new fashion trends as I research emerging fashion lines, and sit in awe of the art that we come across.  Right now, my iTunes playlist consists of Pac Div, Jhene Aiko (both of which I have written about in previous posts), Kendrick Lamar, and The Weeknd.  Lastly, all of the other interns are really funny and easy to get along with…especially with the topic of food. 

Christi: My name is Christi Callahan and I am a senior at Cal State Fullerton majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in entertainment and tourism. As far as myself goes, I love shoes and I'm a huge foodie. I love trying new and exotic foods and pretty much anything from a food truck.

I learned about this internship through my major at school and immediately jumped on it. So far it has been so amazing. The people are so incredibly nice and they have allowed all of us interns to really get into the work. Lately, we've been doing a lot of research on cities for upcoming shows. We've been hunting down designers, artists, and musicians that we like. I think the best part is that I feel like our opinions actually matter and I really can't wait to see what else Project Ethos has in store for us

Sarah: I have an addiction to fashion blogs (particularly Oracle Fox, BLDG25, and SRC783), my favorite food is uncooked tortillas, look to the Olsen twins for fashion advice, enjoy singing loudly despite my horrible voice, and am happiest when I’m barefoot.  On the weekends you can find me in random vintage shops or hiking (yes, there are actually places to hike in LA).  I’m currently a fourth year at UCLA majoring in communication studies.  I’ll be graduating in December and will be moving up to SF as soon as I’m done.

I’ve been as intern at Project Ethos since April, and it was pure luck that I found out about an opening.  I had just finished up an internship with the Fox News Channel and was looking for something that would provide some creative opportunities and poof, UCLA emailed me about an internship with Project Ethos.  Fashion, music and art?  Hello perfection.

Madyson: Coming into my sophomore year at USC, I began the Project Ethos internship in April of my freshman year. Since then I have worked to enhance several participant databases, researching and contacting upcoming fashion designers, curators, and musicians. I have always held a great passion for music and art, as I have been dancing since the age of five. Throughout the past few years, I have travelled extensively and discovered new cultures with which I have fallen in love! I have become a huge electronic music fan after attending Oxegen Music Festival in Punchestown, Ireland with my older sister, Jessica. I hope to study abroad in Europe next summer and further expand my love for European cultures!

1 comment:

  1. How do you become a volunteer for the LA Fashion show in October? kekinmolina@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete